Re: nfs client not mounting files at boot after update

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, John C. Martin wrote:

I have been running pure64 for a number of months now.  After updating
yesterday I ran into a problem.  Up to now the sk98lin did not have to be
explicitly listed in the /etc/modules file, but after the update and then a
reboot, the network was unreachable with eth0 being tied to the firewire
port.  modprobe -r eth1394 to remove that and then modprobe sk98lin took care
of that problem, so I added sk98lin to the /etc/modules file.  Now when I
reboot though, nfs file systems are not being mounted.  I have to su to root
and mount -a to get them mounted.  I have poked around a bit, but am not sure
what happened.  Has anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions?

for some reason, autodiscovery (whether you run discover1 or discover2) detected eth1394 before sk98lin, while previously it used to do the other way around. As to why this is so, I have no idea. However, regardless of why this happened, it is definitely a Bad Thing (TM) to rely on the order of autodetection of devices for something as critical as deciding which phisical device gets bound to a given network interface, when you have more than one. I did not notice this problem because I _always_ put such critical devices in /etc/modules, in the order in which I want them loaded.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                          (Freddy Mercury)