Re: Library packages with only static archives

Drew Hess <drew.hess@gmail.com> writes:

> binutils-dev only supplies a static archive for libiberty.  On AMD64,
> this means that you can't use libiberty functions in shared libraries,
> because libiberty.a isn't compiled with -fPIC.
>
> Seems to me that all library packages on AMD64 should come with shared libs.

You can't ever use a non PIC library with PIC code. It seems to work
on several archs but has sideffects and randomly fails when symbols
move around between versions.

If a shared library needs some static code then a libiberty-pic
package or a shared libiberty is needed.

Please do file serious bugs for anyone using libiberty.a in shared
libs. This a serious policy violation.

MfG
        Goswin