Re: ud segfault (was: When will the amd64 port be stable?)

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 12:39 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:
> >On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 05:18 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
[snip]
> >> Turning on warnings also highlights other silly coding bugs, but I'll
> >> leave those for other people.
> >
> >Hey, let's start a flame war about the unnecessary use of C in
> >non-core functionality!!!
>
> I agree with you, actually. ud is a perfect example of an app where C
> is very much the Wrong Thing. From scanning the source, I'd replace it
> with a small shell/perl/python script running out cron if I cared
> enough for what it does...

At one time, back in my Mandrake days, I had such a python script,
that got daemonized at boot.  Then, every 5 seconds, it updated a
record file.  If you ran it in --client mode, it dumped the
record of uptimes, by either date or longest uptime.

Got lost in the conversion to Debian, back before Woody, though.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"But a much bigger business is selling anti-spam software. This
is a billion dollar market, and it is rapidly growing. Any simple
and effective solution against spam would defeat revenues and
drive several companies into bankrupt, would make consultants
jobless. ... Have a single, simple, and permanent solution to the
problem and - boom - this billion dollar market is dead. That's
one of the reasons why people are expected to live with spam.
They have to live with it to make them buy anti-spam software.
Content filters are perfect products to keep this market alive."
Hadmut Danisch