Re: libc6 upgrade error

On Thursday 09 December 2004 20:04, Don Hayward wrote:
> The following error occured while upgrading from gcc-3.4.  What should I
> do? Thanks.
> Don

don't know about the first part, it doesn't look good. it looks like an error
in the preinst script.

The next part might have triggerd it :

> These libraries were found in /usr/lib32:
> libc.so.6
> libdl.so.2
> libm.so.6
> libpthread.so.0
> librt.so.1

As I did the same thing, you probably added the directory /usr/lib32
to  /etc/ld.so.conf file, to be able to run your 32bit programs

I would suggest temporarely removing all reference to /usr/lib32
from /etc/ld.so.conf, run ldconfig, and retry this install.

Carefull, in this file are also the reference to where the X libs are, so
don't simply rename this file if you are currently doing installs while also
doing X things (don't what would happen, don't try).

you can put this reference back afterwards. The shred object loader isn't
botherd by the double presence.

Apparently the preinst script found the libs (using ldd), and was confused by
them.

> A copy of glibc was found in an unexpected directory.
> It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
> please remove that copy of the C library and try again.

you don't really need to do as suggested in the previous comment, unless what
I said above didn't have the expected result.

Ernest ter Kuile.