Re: Re: Finalize install questions

> Currently, apps like mplayer and OpenSSL run much faster on x86-32

> because such core routines are in hand-coded assembler.

> For most other things, though, GCC 3.4 uses the extra 8 registers

> to good effect.

I think that is where we will see most of our improvements is in doubling the registers, since so much of what gets done is recalculating recent values. By not going back to main memory or even L2 cache, I think we can get a significant performance increase (ie. An hour less run time for a 24 hour period). I guess I would have to run tests to see. Another problem is that these programs can be memory hogs and the nodes only have 512 MB of RAM which is another concern.

Robert LeBlanc