Re: vmware problem

>>>>> "vm" ==   <zhicheng.jiang@gmail.com> writes:

 vm> Hi, I just installed kernel-image-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 and
 vm> kernel-headers-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 from Debian/unstable. I also have
 vm> gcc 2.95.4 installed and made sure my /usr/bin/gcc was pointing
 vm> to gcc-2.95.4 (and the same for g++).

 vm> and I download the vmware-any-any-update84.tar.gz

 vm> then I run the runme.pl in the vmware-any-any-update84

Use gcc-3.4, and you need to compile a complete kernel and modules.
Make sure the new kernel is installed correctly and working. Then
run "runme.pl". I have never tried to compile kernel modules for
a packaged kernel, but suspect this will not work. It should work fine
then. Since I compile the kernel anyway this has never been an issue
for me. So the question is can one compile a kernel module without
actually having compiled the kernel? I don't know the answer to this
question.

Good luck,

Alan