Re: non-install report

Thanks all for the help.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:14:37 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow
<brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Can you check your hardware please (yes I saw below). From the
> hardware data the board sounds just like an Asus K8V which many of us
> have running perfectly so crashes sound strange.

How to check? memtest is the only thing I see offhand. I know that a
'no error' from that is not conclusive, but if it did detect errors,
that would be conclusive.

Debian i386 seems to do fine except for not noticing the built in
ethernet. It works fine with the Tulip card.

> In Short: /debian-installer/current contains the daily build D-I
> images, which does not include a cdrom iso. The cdrom directory
> contains the files needed to build a cdrom with debian-cd.
>
> I also wrote a script (far simpler than debian-cd) that uses the same
> files to build a netinst cd and I do that iregulary from time to
> time. The script is in the tools directory (make-cd) if you want a
> newer image.

I'm still clueless here. I can't find the tools directory or make-cd.
I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but I cannot find it. The link
on the HOW-TO points to the section on the installer describing how to
partition a hard drive.

> It does sound like hardware.

I can't rule that out at this point, but I do get different results
with different S/W.

> Try installing the 64bit kernel-image-2.6.9-amd64-k8 (from i386) on
> your system and boot it. Does it still work then (guessing not). But
> if it does you can create a 64bit chroot and see if any of the
> binaries trigger the instability and so on.

I could not find that kernel image. I did install
kernel-image-2.6.8-9-amd64-k8 and it does not work with the Tulip
card. dhclient reports checksum errors trying to establish the
connection. I think that via-rhine is the correct module for the on
board ETH and that does not load (Gentoo liveCD can load it, but
ifconfig etho reports no such device, but I don't know Gentoo and I
may be leaving something else out.)

thanks,
hank

--