Re: ia32-libs vs. ia32 chroot

IA32 Chroot:
+ Can install other libraries very easily
+ Can add library directories to /etc/ld.so.conf so it runs like the ia32-libs
- Slightly more effort to setup
- Takes up quite a bit more space

ia32-libs:
+ Install and run (for limited library dependencies)
- Not a complete 32bit system (Ie running 32bit firefox isn't anywhere near as easy)
+ Less space

In my opinion that about sums up the important points to consider, I've probably missed a couple or explained some badly though

Alan

Thanks, Alan.

I'm going with the chroot approach then.

Following the AMD64 HOWTO in section "Running applications inside the chroot", I followed the instructions and then I wanted to try to run a 32-bit program.

First I wanted to try to run some X-based program so I tried openoffice, which was not yet installed. When I tried to install it in the chroot, I got the following errors below.

So I wondered whether I needed X installed in the chroot, but this did not work either (see below).

Then I wondered if it was not X but some other configuration problem so I tried to install wine. Again some sort of dependency problem.

Can someone indicate what might be wrong? I'm using kernel 2.6.8-9-amd-k8-smp on a dual Opteron system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

# apt-get install openoffice.org
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-debian-files (> 1.1.1+1.1.2rc3) but it is not going to be installed Depends: openoffice.org-bin (> 1.1.1+1.1.2rc3) but it is not going to be installed Depends: dictionaries-common (>= 0.10) but it is not going to be installed or
                           openoffice.org-updatedicts

# apt-get install x-window-system
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

x-window-system: Depends: x-window-system-core but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: xdm but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: xterm but it is not going to be installed

# apt-get install wine
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

wine: Depends: xbase-clients (>= 4.0) but it is not going to be installed or
                 xcontrib