I need explanation on the design of debian-amd64.

Hi!

I would like to ask this:

I'm just about to install debian-amd64 (pure64) on my system.  My first
attempt was to install sid-i386 with amd64 kernel, but when I tried to
build the nvidia drivers, I got some terrible errors: first, I was using
gcc-3.3 (sorry), I installed gcc-3.4 and tried again, but got a different
error.

Anyway, I got tired of it, and I'm willing to install pure64, but my
concern is:

I only have a 10Gb HD (for the moment, I'm saving to get another), so I
don't find it really attractive to install the full 64bits system, and
then install lots of 32bits libraries (and maybe other binaries) in a
chroot jail just to run, say, doom3, or openoffice.org.  So, my question
is:

Is there any way in wich I can have both kind of libraries in my system?,
I mean, something like this:

lib  : 32bits libraries.
lib64: 64bits libraries.

and have almost all of my system running 64bits binaries (except by:
openoffice, doom3, mplayer with w32 codecs, you name it).

This way, I could have a true hybrid system, with some 32bits binaries and
some 64bits binaries sharing the same filesystem and hardware devices,
without the need of "duplicated" binaries.

Please, somebody correct me if I'm geting things wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help, and keep up the good work!

Ildefonso.