no more sound after starting KDE

Bafling problem with kde, and probably arts system

Before starting kdm I can play any sound (using alsa) without trouble, as can
anybody in the audio group .

after starting up KDE and logging in there is no more sound and the arts sound
server keeps telling me my cpu is in overload.

The only way to get any sound after logging in, is to run alsaconfig as root
from a terminal, and after that, everything works again, even though I still
get every few minutes the sound server cpu overload message.

So I expected to find something in the Control server -> Sound & Multimedia ->
Sound system, However:

- most actions crash Knotify with a sig11 (probably because it tries to play a
sound ;o). Most mysteriously, this still happens even after having reset the
sound using alsaconf,
- attempting to give real time priv. to the sound system tells me artswrapper
is missing (it isn't); after alsa reset, this does works
- I read someplace I must disable full duplex, however that was never enabled
in the first place.

In other words ...

Running deb for amd64 ; using latest update from :
deb http://bach.hpc2n.umu.se/pure64 sid main
(half hour ago)
User build kernel 2.6.9; but this happen also with deb kernels (as said above,
sound works)
most of kde is now 3.3.1, but this happend before with 3.3.0

This has never worked since new, clean, amd64 install about a month ago. I've
been using debian testing with kde on K7 since about for ever without this
problem. I tried comparing the current configuration with my old
configuration, but it's hard because of the accumulated cruft from many years
KDE upgrades.

Beside, there does not seem to be an arts.something.something.conf anywhere
underneath ~/.kde, nor does any file in there even contain the word "arts".

As sound works again after alsaconfig, I suspect arts startup params. But
where can I find those ? where else should I check ?

Anybody seen this before ?

Ernest ter Kuile.