Boot from SATA + Network

Hello!

I have just tried to install debian-amd64 on my new computer: It has a DFI LanpartyUT nf3 250gb board. I am not new to debian (I would rate myself as an advanced user), but this is my first amd64 system

I used the 125MB iso to install a basic system, which mostly worked (although i didn't get the networking to work - probably due to the lack of a driver).

I want to install debian on a SATA drive (the only HD in that PC). I created /dev/sda3 as the root partition, formated with XFS. now I can't install a boot loader yet (I don't want to mess with the winxp bootloader - winxp is on sda1), so I tried booting with the netinst iso, appending root=/dev/sda3 to the kernel prompt.

I get a kernelpanic, saying that the root filesys couldn't be mounted. I guess this is because the sata driver (I believe it is sata_nv) is compiled as a module. Am I correct?

I also tried the monolithic image to boot, but got the same result.

What would you suggest - how should I get my system installed?

regards and thanks in advance
Jonas Diemer

PS: Please CC me in your replies, I am not subscribed to the list.