Re: issues with nptl-only libc

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Andreas Jochens wrote:

On 04-Nov-10 11:21, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
Would it be hard to give legacy support for old-style linux threads? This
has turned up several times as a serious issue now..

Which packages are affected? There was a problem with mysql-dfsg which
has been resolved. If there are other packages which have problems,
I would rather like to fix those packages.

Running an amd64 chroot on a woody host system with a woody kernel.

GotoBLAS is "Pthreads NOT NPTL", with NPTL being "work in progress" since some time ago. I suspect this might go for several other pieces of non-free software. This is a critical issue for us at work.

If you really need legacy linuxthreads support for some reason,
I could prepare a patch to glibc which provides this. But this would
be ugly and I would like to avoid that. The current i386 setup has
separate libc's for linuxthreads and nptl and this leads to all kinds
of problems (e.g. applications are compiled using the linuxthreads
headers but at runtime they use nptl which is the default on i386).

Well, I'm not sure anyone needs development support, just runtime support.

/Mattias Wadenstein