Re: Incommunicado after winxp/vmware access over NFS

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 10:38:52AM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
> Thanks, Len -- I didn't realize the upgrade was free, so that's very
> useful.
> It turns out the problem can't have been vmware after all, however, as the
> same thing happened when I wasn't using it. I reverted the most recent
> change, which was upgrading the hotplug package, and it hasn't happened
> again, but this is not a diagnosis.
>
> I'll upgrade VMware anyway -- if I can run it on the amd64, that would
> be very cool --
> but it would mean running a 32-bit app within a pure64 environment. My
> guess is
> that VMware 4.5 won't run in our pure64 Debian -- is that correct?

Hmm, no idea I haven't tried vmware on 64bit myself, I just read about
some kernel patches/driver patches for vmware related to amd64 support.
I have found 4.5 much better than 4.0 for some things, so it's worth
downloading the new one.  VMware seems to always consider any point
releases to be free upgrades.

I suspect if/when they release a version with full 64bit support (both
host and guest), it will be version 5.x and require an upgrade. :)