Help deciding whether to use the amd64 port

I am going to be upgrading my Athlon XP workstation (running
Debian/unstable) to an Athlon 64 in the next week or so. I am trying to
decide whether to use the AMD64 port or to stick with the IA32 port.

According to the FAQ at
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html:

 - For servers, it is roughly as stable as i386 sid is, lacking some
   unported applications like Java.

 - For workstations, some applications have problems - most notably
   mozilla and its derivatives, and Openoffice.org porting efforts have
   just begun. However, a growing number of people use this port on
   their desktop system, and are really happy with it.

I occasionally use Java, I don't use Openoffice, and I regularly use
Firefox. Finally, I use VMWare a lot, primarily to run Windows XP, and
occasionally other x86 operating systems (Win2K, Debian/Woody, etc.).

Based on that information, is Debian-AMD64 the right choice for me today,
or should I wait a few more months?

I am an experienced Unix/Linux admin, so things like chroots don't worry
me. I'm fairly certain that I could run VMWare in a chroot if I needed
to, but it's the Mozilla issues (whatever they are) that really worry
me; I really don't want to run a core application like that in a chroot.

Thanks for any input,

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA

Dave is currently listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival - Hey Tonight (Chronicle)