Re: External hard drive problem

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 11:32 +0100, Simon Capstick wrote:

> The easiest way for you to use Linux without touching the HD in your laptop
> would be to simply use and run a Knoppix CD.  You could use your firewire HD
> to store all your linux related data.

The problem with that is that it's much slower than a hard drive
install.  Keep that in mind while you finish your coffee waiting for
OpenOffice to post it's first frame on your display...

I've used www.sysresccd.org to resize an NTFS partition in an i386
laptop.  I can't guarantee it will work, but it might...  On amd64,
perhaps NTFS is using different sizes for things?  Or perhaps it's 64
bit anyhow?  You boot to XP, defrag the disk, boot the CD, type
'run_qtparted', resize, boot XP and let it checkdisk, then boot a debian
installer disk and let it take the free space.  Works great on i386
(ymmv; make a backup); not sure about amd64.

--
    Karl Hegbloom
(o_  mailto:hegbloom@pdx.edu