Re: ati video card driver problem

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 12:31:56PM +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
>    ATi have not released binary drivers for amd64. If you want to use
> your graphics card under Linux, you will have to run a 32-bit kernel
> and a 32-bit system. Needless to say, this has made a number of people
> (including myself) somewhat angry.

The XFree86 ati drivers in the gcc-3.4 tree seems to be rock solid,
although you will only get 2D support.

>    I suspect that they won't release 64-bit drivers for Linux until
> 64-bit Windows ships.

That makes no sense since they're shipping 64-bit AMD64 drivers for
64-bit Windows XP:

	http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4424.html

Considering that 64-bit Linux on AMD64 probably is an order of magnitude
more popular than 64-bit Windows, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cheers,
--
Kåre Hviid                   ukh@id.cbs.dk                 +45 3815 3075
Sys Admin      Institut for Datalingvistik, Handelshøjskolen i København