Re: newbie

Hi,

> I'm just bought an AMD-64 3000+ and I saw on Debian site that there is
> a "port". Can I dist-upgrade to x86-64 without any serious damage (I can
> accept usual misfunction from 'beta') or I should reinstall?

A dist-upgrade is not possible (at least not yet and not in the forseeable
future either AFAIK). A reinstall is therefore the only available option.
You can reuse your current i386-installation to bootstrap the amd64 install.
Another possibility is a complete install based on the debian-installer
images available via the Debian-Installer project page.

> If I install amd64 port can I execute old i386 apps?

Yes. See the AMD64 FAQ/HOWTO on the ports page for more info.

regards,
Thomas