Re: amd64 and video card experiences?

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 07:11 -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 01:29:25AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
>  > On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 08:28:50PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
[snip]
>  Which is what I was trying to say.  With 100+ million transistors, "3d
>  acceleration" constitutes more thann 90% of the chip's functionality.
>  If you want a 2D accelerator, find yourself a US$5 PCI card.  It will
>  do about the same as any current US$300 card with those drivers and
>  makes more sense from an enviromental POV: it's easier and cleaner to
>  manufacture, doesn't dissipate as much heat, consumes much less power.

Be careful about "the cheap road".

When buying my Shuttle SFF box, I thought to myself, "I won't be
doing any 3D stuff, so I'll save money and get the one with the
built-in ProSavage8 video chip.

Sure, "it's easier and cleaner to manufacture, doesn't dissipate
as much heat, consumes much less power", but it sucks ass at 2D
stuff like video.  I like Hylke's idea of the Matrox G200.  An
NVIDIA Riva TNT32/M64 would also work just as well.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

YODA: Code! Yes. A programmer's strength flows from code
maintainability. But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more than
one way to do it...default variables. The dark side of code
maintainability are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you
when code you write. If once you start down the dark path,
forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.