Re: [debian-amd64] building a dual Opteron Server

I have

Dual AMD opteron 242 (1.4ghz)
Tyan Thuner K8S (S2882)
2 GB RAM
3ware escalade 9500S-8
8x250GB WD SATA drives, 7 in raid5 with one hot spare

so nearly same configuration you're asking about.

first off, debian-amd64 screams on it. it loves it.

originally i had an 8506-8, but they told me proper 64-bit support
wouldn't work with the 3dm/CLI userland utils, so i bumped up to the
9500S-8. it works great, now that kernel 2.6.8-rc1 and higher has full
low-level driver support in it, and all the utils work great now too. it
took a while and lots of back and forth with the 3ware folks =)

i'm using it for NFS and possibly mail. right now it's also acting as an
interim mysql server until my next dual opteron comes in.

i can't help with your specifics - i'm running JFS, not ext3 or xfs and
haven't had any need for any advanced filesystem stuff. all i can say is
the hardware works great together.