Re: amd64 sleeps too quickly

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:20:03AM -0400, David Dumas wrote:
> > Note the difference in command lines: Ian ran "time" on an outside
> > machine, so that the machine was not timing its own "sleep" command.
>
> I get the same (correct) result when using another host running i386
> linux to time the sleep command:
>
> $ time ssh feynman "sleep 5; echo done"
> done
>
> real    0m5.102s
> user    0m0.011s
> sys     0m0.002s
>

> > This bug is probably one[1] that has been discussed at some length on
> > the linux-kernel list (after it showed up here).
>
> Looks like it, but as far as I can tell this also causes the time of
> day to advance twice as fast as it should...

 That's what I saw.  As I mentioned somewhere in that thread Michael linked
to, it's fixed in 2.4.27-pre3 and later.  It turns out that soon after I
initially reported the bug, Len Brown of Intel made some ACPI changes
that happened to fix the double timer interrupts bug on AMD64.

> I would think Ian would
> notice this before testing out "sleep".

 That's what I noticed first!  The fact that sleep is affected as well as
just the system clock makes it more serious, though.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)