On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 02:15:10PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 11:44:06AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > Also, which are those packages?  At minimum, binutils, gcc and glibc need
> > > to support multiarch, and be built this way -- and that's mostly because
> > > gcc's cross compiling support is in such poor shape when contrasted
> > > with native compiling.  [And it's probably worth noting that multiarch
> > > doesn't seem to address cross compiling at all.]
>
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 06:35:22PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > From what I understood of things, multiarch is supposed to make
> > cross compiling easier too.  There should be an
> > /usr/bin/$arch-$os for the toolchain binaries and /usr/include/$arch-os
> > for includes.
>
> Cross compiling means $arch is different from $host (neither of which
> need be identical to uname, in the general case).
>
> Multiarch assumes $arch and $host are the same.

I think this is going to be more clear with s/arch/target/.

In /usr/bin/$target-$os you would find the cross compile toolchain
for $target-$os.  In general no other binaries should be in there
other than those of the cross build toolchain.  Normal binaries
should stay in /usr/bin since there should be no reason to have
the same binary installed twice.

I can't think of any other reason why you'd want the same binary
twice unless there are problems with some ABI but I can't came up
with a good example for that.  I can't see how it would know
which version of the binary to select either.

Kurt