Re: Informations amd64

thierry wrote:

hello,
i just bought this morning an Acer laptop 64 bits ..
i know haw to use debian operating system, but i do not know how to
install the 64 bits version ...
so i have questions :

- where to find boot/cdrom boot (to install debian)
http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/install-images/

- what should i put in sources.list
debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 is the source, you have to set it manually during install when it asks for a mirror, and it should set the sources.list properly afterward.

I usually add ftp.debian.org (or a mirror) as deb-src for easy "apt-get source" later

- is it possible to install mix packages i mean 32 & 64 bits packages ?

yes and no.
the amd64 kernel can run both 32 and 64 bits binaries, but the problem is that 32 bit binaries need 32 bit libraries and ld.so has problems finding the proper libs. there are a couple of workaround:

- statically linked binaries should be fine
- the easiest way is to hav a chrooted 32 bit environement. If you do it properly, and with a few mount --bind you can share all usefull directories, and the X remote windows allows opening of 32bit apps in a 64bit X server

I leave to others the explanation on how to build the chrooted env, but I'm sure it's documented in the amd64 debian pages

the question, though is why do you want 32 bit ?
if it's "just to be on the safe side" I don't recommand it, there are only very few packages that don't properly work on the amd64 ports, and it's usually not worth the trouble unless you have some binary only app...

hope this helps
Jeremy

Thx