Re: who did define x86_64 in LSB?

GOTO Masanori wrote:
I would like to know who defined "x86_64" name in LSB with the
appropriate reason.  Is this "rpm"-driven name?  Why did they select
this name instead of "x86-64"?

Regards,
-- gotom

x86-64 creates problems because x86-64-pc-linux matches x86-*-linux, which would cause many build scripts to think they were on regular x86 and build accordingly. x86_64 is somewhat rpm-driven, in that clearly nobody thought about the meaning of _ in debian. Also, if I recall correctly more recent LSB documents refer to the architecture as "amd64" rather than "x86_64" or similar.

-- Alexander Rapp