Re: 32 bit bigotry running under 64 bit 2.6.6?

On Friday 04 June 2004 19:36, Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se wrote:
> * Chris Horn [2004-06-03 12:52:02 -0400]:
> > My solution was to build an i386 32 bit 2.6.6 Opteron kernel on an i386
> > box.  That procedure went as it usually does (without a hitch) and I just
> > installed that deb on the new Opteron box.  It boots just fine and life
> > with a custom kernel is good (except onbaord SK8V sound doesn't seem to be
> > supported).
>
> The sound is supported in ALSA 1.0.4. I've also got an SK8V (with an
> Opteron 142 on it), running 2.4.26 (I won't touch Linux 2.6 until
> OpenAFS support is available for it). I managed to build and boot
> a 32/64 2.4.26 kernel, but discovered that I needed the biarch
> modutils in order to load the modules. They're easy enough to
> install, of course, but for now I've drawn the line at that point.

I'll have to check it out.  What's the chip I should build support for
(modprobe will tell you which module is actually loaded)?  In the mean-time,
I just dropped in an old Ensoniq AudioPCI (ens1370) I had lying around.
Beautiful sound in no time at all.

> I think you expressed an interest in the NVidia modules. I hope you
> noticed there is a separate release for amd64 (5332 rather thab
> 5336). I haven't yet tried to build it myself, but it should work.

I did notice this, but the problem then becomes that the game may not run
properly...  It's still 32 bit.  I guess I could try, but right now I'm just
happy that everything is working.  Also, as far as I can tell, the biarch
port is being abandoned in favor of the more general multiarch one - but
multiarch is far from even being planned out!

> > It's a shame to not use the 64 bit side of the Opteron, but for now it's
> > going to have to do.  I want to play my 32 bit only 3D game (RTCW)!  Life
> > would certainly be easier if I hadn't started playing the occasional game
> > again (pure64).
>
> Lucky you. I must maintain 32-bit support for plenty of other reasons
> (e.g., my old NAG f95 compiler only runs in 32-bit mode).

Chris.