Re: Installation report

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 04:42:11PM +0200, ROSEN Jeremy wrote:

> OK, first bug, this one is from the installer. I use a french keyboard,
> but the installer don't seem to have any keyboard layout. the keyboard
> selection menu gives no choices at all, and fter skipping that stage,
> the installer stays with the default BIOS keyboard...

The question is, is this a general d-i problem, or just for
amd64?  It probably has a list of keyboard per arch somewhere.

> I then went on with the installer, it took me some time to find the
> correct mirror (the FAQ could be more clear on the fact that
> debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org is the only mirror, pure64 is the base
> directory, and only testing can be used) but once that was done, I could
> go on.

You probably mean unstable there.

> BTW, unstable was the only accepted choice, is it because the installer
> is not yet in testing, or is there no testing distribution at all for amd64

We're only building packages for unstable so that is going to be
the only one that works.

> second big problem, it couldn't install GRUB at all. the log message
> reported that there were no vaid installation candidates.

This should have been fixed yesterday.

> that's where my third problem occured. no more network. That was weird,
> it had worked the first time, and the installer had properly downloaded
> the dhcp module. Another weird thing I noticed was that it wanted me to
> configure ppp, even if I had NOT asked for the ppp installer.

I think this might be related to not finding grub and that it
aborted installation of the rest instead of going on.

> One last question... I've left the /etc/apt/sources.list at it's
> default, that is alioth/unstable. are there other sources I need to add
> by hand, other things I should be aware of ?

You shouldn't need any other in there.  Maybe you want to add a
deb-src if you want to compile things yourself.

Kurt