Re: Support now in dpkg

* Andreas Jochens (aj@andaco.de) wrote:
> My impression is that most people working on the Debian amd64 port
> do not like the name 'amd64' very much. I never understood
> why the name was changed from x86-64 to amd64 last year.

How about because your impression is wrong and that most people working
on the Debian amd64 port prefer the 'amd64' name?  That would seem like
a very logical conclusion.

> >   * it doesn't include unnecessary marketing connotations, and avoids
> >     the issue whether we even *can* use AMD's name in vain
>
> To use a more neutral name is really a good thing IMHO.

This doesn't make a damn bit of sense, sorry.  There's no such thing as
a 'neutral' name when you're talking about an architecture.  They're
developed by companies, companies put their names in them and on them.
Quit trying to bring this up as a valid point, it's not, deal with it.

	Stephen