Re: Who decides arch names?

John Goerzen <jgoerzen <at> complete.org> writes:
> Though not Gentoo, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Mandrake, Shark, etc.

OpenBSD doesn't use 'x86-64' either.

> >   * it doesn't include unnecessary marketing connotations, and avoids
> >     the issue whether we even *can* use AMD's name in vain
>
> I fail to see how mentioning the name of an architecture is using
> unnecessary marketing connotations.  Perhaps we ought to make these
> changes:
>
> i386 -> ia32

Good idea.  If we don't want to credit AMD, then we should not credit Intel
either. (Guess what the 'i' in i386 stands for)

Using 'amd64' would also make the discussion about hyphen or underscore
irrelevant.

	Gabriel.

--
Gabriel Ebner - reverse "ta.renbeleirbag@eg"
==> Please don't CC me!  I'm reading the list.