Re: "Trivial Question" - 32bit vs. 64bit vs. 32/64bit

Thanks for all the elaborated answers. Let me summarize: To run
an application in 64-bit mode I need:
- a kernel that is able to launch this application
- a suitable set of shared libraries

(Similarly for a 32-bit mode application on a pure64 system.)

To avoid conflicts with existing shared libraries one installs
the 64-bit libraries in a chroot environment and starts the
64-bit application there.

Is this right? Or are there other issues (apart from the shared
libraries) that require the chroot environment?

Is it possible to run a statically linked 64-bit application
without chroot?

Can I launch a standard 32-bit application from inside the 64-bit
chroot? For instance via mounting the original root directory
inside the chroot to obtain nested 32-bit and 64-bit chroots?

I am interested in these points because of the following: I am
using a hybrid application (more precisely Pvs
(http://pvs.csl.sri.com/)) with an emacs and a Tcl/Tk frontend. I
would like to run the application itself in 64-bit mode _without_
installing emacs and Tcl/Tk in the chroot.

Bye,

Hendrik Tews

PS. I wanted to distill this thread into something that can go
into the HOWTO. However, I am not able to ``make'' the HOWTO, see
my posting "HOWTO cvs: docbook_html.xsl missing".