Re: top info

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 06:44:24PM +0200, Corin Langosch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> thanks a lot for the fast reply!
>
> so that basically means i should replace my IDE drive
> with a SCSI drive, because much of my cpu time is spend
> for IO-requests? does SATA help here?

You could look into using a different fs depending on which one you use,
there was recently a benchmark of the various fs on lwn (iirc). Also the
new WDC Raptor 740GD SATA drives can do command queueing, but I am not
sure if the 3Ware SATA RAID Controllers support it yet. That combination
would probably be your best bang for buck. Of course if you need a large
raid you also need to make sure you have 64bit/66MHz pci slots, since
normal pci tops out at 133MB/s. I assume the cards work in 32bit slots
as well, but have never used them.

Chris

Prices off pricewatch.com in US

$335 3Ware 9500S-4LP  (SATA RAID -  4 port)
$458 3Ware 9500S-8MI  (SATA RAID -  8 port)
$697 3Ware 9500S-12MI (SATA RAID - 12 port)

$212 WDC 740GD (74GB 10Krpm)