Re: 2.6.4-x86_64 compiled in a chroot. And now?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:54:15 +0100, Pere Castañer <XaRz@menta.net> writes:

 > Yesterday I finally managed to cross-compile the new 2.6.4
 > kernel. But now what I must do?  I have the kernel but my whole
 > system is debian-sid i386. I must go with debian i386 +x86_64
 > kernel?  Or I must boot the sarge chroot (which is in another hd)
 > with the x86_64, and run the debs packages from alioth? (and forget
 > the i386 debian system?).

Here is how I handle some things:

I have these 6 partitions that pertain to Debian use:

 root partitions:
  i386-sid
  biarch i386-woody+amd64-sarge
  amd64-pure64.
 home
 tmp
 swap

I have the /etc/fstab setup in each root partition such that the last
three partitions are shared and that regardless of what partition I
boot, all root partitions are available from

 /other/deb-i386
 /other/deb-biarch
 /other/deb-pure64

(in addition to one of them being mounted to "/").

As a mnemonic I have these empty marker files:

ls /other/deb-*/FS*
/other/deb-biarch/FS.deb-biarch
/other/deb-pure64/FS.deb-pure64
/other/deb-i386/FS.deb-i386

In the .profile of each root account I also set the prompt variable
"PS1" to help keep straight what I'm running

I have Grub set up to boot Linux 2.6.3 built as a monolithic biarch
kernel into the i386-sid partition.  With this I can then chroot in to
the others for testing.  I also have Grub entries to boot this same
2.6.3 kernel using biarch or pure64 roots.

Note, that to boot the biarch and pure64 roots, I needed to do a lot
of minor fixups inside the chroot before everything worked enough to
boot and access from the network.  There was also the login bug
workaround.  Unfortunately I didn't keep a record of all that I did,
but at a minimum, I needed to install ssh, ifupdown and dhcp-client
from inside the chroot.

-Brett.