Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

> [..] Some of us, however, would like to just get a quick-n-dirty port
> going so that we can use our 64bit systems as 64bit.

I dont like quick-n-dirty solutions. its a easy way to workaround problems that
have
to be solved. everyone say such a solution is temporary. But in fact they won't
be
because everybody use it. I have seen that a lot in our company. You waste more
time
to clean up.

> [..] In fact, I expect Oracle will do that once people start asking
> for it, if they havn't already.

Could be. i dont want to ask every single company to port their software on
64bit.
They port it only if they see a way to gain money. For native 64bit environment
you
will have problems to get users and/or companies which use it. You get them only
if
you have the apps they need (open or proprietary). if a only 64bit environment
would
be really needed then IA-64 would have been more successful.

Markus