Re: INIT problems continue

> Search the archives for /etc/apt/preferences file. You'll probably have
> to recreate your chroot from scratch, but if you do this:
>
>   1) debootstrap using alioth
>   2) add the /etc/apt/preferences file with the proper "pinnings"
>   3) edit your /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> then the i386 packages shouldn't clobber the preferred amd64 ones.

Ok, I've decided to start over from scratch.  Maybe if I didn't install
a proper chroot the first time, then something may have gone wrong
with the kernel compile, which may have given me the screwy results
I'm seeing.

I've done this:

mastermind:/# mkdir /x86-64
mastermind:/# debootstrap sid /x86-64 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/
[debooststrap output]

And then set up a sources.list with:

deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/ sid main

above the normal sid lines and this preferences file:

Package: *
Pin: release l=Debian-amd64
Pin-Priority: 1500

But this leads to dependency problems, because libc6 2.3.2-7.biarch1
will be installed, and many packages in the normal Debian apt
repository depend on higher versions.

Attempting to do the gcc install (copied straight from the HOWTO)
yields:

mastermind:/# apt-get install -u libc6 libc6-dev gcc-3.3 libncurses5-dev wget bzip2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
wget is already the newest version.
or been moved out of Incoming.

  wget: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4) but 2.3.2-7.biarch1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

because there is no i386 package for wget on alioth.

Skipping wget isn't a solution, because other essential packages are
in the same position:

WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  apt base-files base-passwd (due to base-files) bash debianutils grep gzip
  hostname initscripts util-linux (due to initscripts) ncurses-bin sysvinit
  zlib1g (due to util-linux)

I really don't want to know what a Debian system would be like if I
removed bash.

Is there some way out of this?

Eric