Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

* Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> [040116 20:18]:
> claus@xn--frber-gra.muc.de (Claus Färber) writes:
>
> > Hallo,
> >
> > Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> schrieb/wrote:
> > > And the biggest job is changing every library package to build the
> > > amd64 flavour and put its libraries into /lib64/. But that can be done
> > > step by step as needed to compile binaries for amd64
> >
> > The method of putting libraries into /lib/ and /lib64/ does not work if
> > you want to have i386 and ppc, for example, on the same system. While
> > this is not possible at the moment, it will be once someone writes a
> > good CPU emulator... (or with CLI).
>
> The decision to put libraries inot /lib and /lib64 has been made quite
> some time ago and works fine. I would say thats pretty much
> unchangeable now without a realy good reason. Everyone objecting to
> /lib64 is a few years to late.

I've actually heard a good solution to the objections...

- install 32bit in /lib/lib*.so,
- install 64bit in /lib/64/lib*.so,
- and create a symlink /lib64 -> /lib/64/ for compatibility reasons.

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/