Re: Loader Magic

Stephen Waters <debian@luy.info> writes:

> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 15:06, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> >
> > > So, which is default on a AMD64 machine? For my machine, I consider 64
> > > bit default and 32 bit legacy. :)
> >
> > according to the standard document, 32 bit libraries are
> > default, due to their better memory efficiency for most uses.  64-bit
> > libraries are used for selected binaries which require large address
> > space support (i.e., probably not 'ls' or 'diff'.)
>
> I wonder if Standards Folk are counting the extra registers in their
> memory assessment. If gcc is optimized to make good use of them, are the
> memory req's still as strenuous?
>
> I don't know about this stuff at all. :)
> -s

One thing worth mentioning is that either 32bit or 64bit has to be
somewhere different. If you move 32bit to /lib32 you loose
compatibility with i386 thereby giving up ia32 legacy and creating a
new i386 abi (ia32.2). You throw away compatibility for the sake what?
two less chars in the lib path?

MfG
        Goswin