Re: Kernel question

* Scott Ransom <ransom@physics.mcgill.ca> [031017 23:01]:
> So I made the plunge.  I installed a semi-recent Debian unstable
> on a new dual Opteron 244 on a Tyan 2880 board and then
> installed Bart's newest 64 bit kernel (2.4.23-pre5-amd64) and
> some key 64 bit debs from Barts site.  Things seem OK.  I can
> compile and run 64 bit apps just fine.

excellent.  did you follow Kevin M. Rosenberg's HOWTO [1]?

[1] http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/doc/debian-amd64-howto/?cvsroot=debian-amd64

If so do you have comments or additions?

> But now I'm having some problems with my 3Ware RAID card and
> ext3 (and possible NFS).  I believe they are kernel related
> issues and want to post to LKML with them.  But first, I wanted
> to get a brief rundown on how recent or what x86-64 updates
> have been applied to the 2.4.23-pre5 kernel.  Is this using a
> x86-64.org CVS kernel as base?

The kernel is based on the 2.4.22 kernel in unstable and
 + 23-pre5 patches from kernel.org,
 + few minor patches to get compiling.

You can get all the patches from the source package [2].  The diffs are
in amd64 dir and are applied in the order listed by amd64/sequence.

[2] http://farbror.acc.umu.se/amd64/packages/kernel-patch-2.4.23-pre5-amd64/20030927.1-1/kernel-patch-2.4.23-pre5-amd64_20030927.1-1.tar.gz

You will need an updated version of kernel-package [3] if you want to
build the above with dpkg-builpackage.

[3] http://farbror.acc.umu.se/amd64/packages/kernel-package/8.038.biarch2/

> Thanks a bunch.  You'll probably be seeing my name on the board
> quite a bit in the weeks following...

Welcome aboard :)

B.

--