Re: dpkg and debhelper patches for lib64 support

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 03:17, you wrote:
> At Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:26:17 +0200,
>
> Gerhard Tonn wrote:
> > I have made some changes to dpkg and debhelper in order to support
> > /lib64 and /usr/lib64 locations on 64 bit platforms. You find the patches
> > at people.debian.org/~gt/lib64 along with patches for a bunch of other
> > packages using the dpkg and debhelper extensions. Some of the patches
> > have been used already by Arnd Bergmann for the x86-64 port. Any feedback
> > is welcome.
>
> Excellent.
>
> > Assumptions:
> > ------------
> > Development packages for 32 and 64 bit platforms are not installable
> > concurrently.
>
> I don't still know about it, but
>
>   * Is this assumption practical?
>   * Should development packages be capable to handle both 32/64 bit at
>     the same?
>   * Are there any example development packages which need to split
>     between for 32 and for 64 bit?

The assumption simplifies the lib64 support at least. If both 32 and 64 bit
development packages are needed concurrently, we could add the *.so link of
the 32 bit package to the 64 bit package instead. The dependencies have to be
adapted accordingly.

Regards,
Gerhard