Re: libc6

On Wed, Nov 05 2003 at 08:39,
Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:51:13AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > Did anybody tried to port aptitude to amd64? it is much easier to decide
> > > between package version within it that with dselect...
> > I haven't tried, but it might just be a matter of rebuilding or using the
> > i386 version.
>
> Small newbie question:
>  Idea: get aptitude running
>
>  Attempt 1: install i386.
>    Problem: aptitude depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5-3.3 which is
>             provided by apt. apt 0.5.14-subarch1 installed so it
>             provides 64bit libraries. We can't install i386 apt as well
>             due to the fact that apt includes binaries besides necessary
> library and binaries can't be installed cause they are already provided
> by 64bit apt package. So Attepmt 1 didn't go through. Possible
> solutions? Truncated apt i386 package with library only?

This is a naive question, having not looked at the current debian bi-arch
framework, but shouldn't i386 and amd64 packages be able to coexist?  The
amd64 support should ideally install all its binaries and libraries into
something like /usr/lib64/{bin,lib}

What are the longterm plans for debian i386/amd64 bi-arch support?

Thanks,
Mike