Re: Calling x86 code from 64-bit code

On Sunday 14 December 2003 8:40 pm, Xavier Roche wrote:
> Isn't it possible to allocate 32-bit space inside 64-bit one?
> Besides, I am absolutely unaware of the calling conventions between
> 32 and 64-bit bytecode ; here's the idiotic test I did:

Not really. It can run both 32-bit and 64-bit processes under the control of
a 64-bit kernel. Linking 32-bit libraries into 64-bit apps is for most
practical purposes impossible.

<...>
> Any references to start with? The gcc manual is really not very
> helpful - is the only way to learn x86-64 and write the function
> calls by hand, playing with asm {} things ?

You can download the amd64 archerecture reference manuals from www.amd.com.
From a programmers point of view x86-64 is basically normal x86 stretched
to 64bit and a few extra registers.

Paul