Re: amd64 and dpkg and so

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 10:43, Roland Fehrenbacher wrote:

> Fully agreed. A pure 64bit distro would be nothing more than an academical
> exercise at this stage and the foreseeable future with little practical value
> and even less real users. 32 bit binaries will need to run on these machines
> for a long time. Please don't waist resources for this.

Oh I don't think so. The AMD Opteron is a lot faster in 64-bit than in
32-bit. Not only does it have eight additional GPRs but also the
XMM-Registers (aka SSE). During my benching, every single 64-bit test
was faster than the same software compiled for 32-bit - sometimes more
than 20% faster in 64-bit