Re: 5.17.0 boot issue on Miata

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 11:21:57AM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 09:54:15PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > When I attempt to boot a 5.17.0 kernel built from the kernel.org
> > sources, I see disk sector errors on my "sda" device, and the boot
> > process hangs at the point where "systemd-udevd.service" starts.
> >
> > Rebooting on 5.16.0 works with no disk I/O errors of any kind.
>
> Oh, you can run a 5.16.y kernel on Alpha?  I have had problems
> with everything since 5.9.y with rare, random, corruptions in
> memory in user space (exhibiting as glibc detected memory
> corruptions or segfaults).

Did we have this painted into the "SMP vs. not-SMP" corner at one point?
Miata is an automatic not-SMP case for hand-built kernels for that
architecture, which might explain why I'm not seeing the problems with
user space memory corruption.

Just successfully booted on v5.17-rc1 a little while ago.  Moving on to
"-rc2".

--Bob