Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-04-09

Hi Darren!

On 4/15/19 3:53 AM, Darren Goossens wrote:
> Sorry If I am replying in the wrong way, I tried to understand how
> these lists work but I always seem to get it wrong.

You're doing it the right way, don't worry.

> I have tried to use the Alpha netboot image. It booted very nicely,
> but then I got the message that I needed to load some firmware from
> removable media -- in this case, qlogic/1040.bin. The installer did
> not detect the CDROM drive, which is a standard SCSI one that came
> with the AlphaServer.

First things first, we need to rule out some confusion: Are you using
the actual netboot images or NETINST CD-ROM? I am asking because those
are two distinct method of installation and the former, the netboot
images actually don't include any modules for IDE, SCSI and SATA
hardware. Those modules are supposed to be retrieved over the network.

Compare cdrom:

> https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/blob/master/build/pkg-lists/cdrom/alpha.cfg

and netboot:

> https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/blob/master/build/pkg-lists/netboot/alpha.cfg

If you are actually using NETINST CD-ROM image and not netboot, I need
to know what storage controllers this machine has. Could you provide
the output of "lspci" on Linux and maybe also "show device" from the
SRM console?

> I put the files on a floppy (AlphaServer 1200 does not have USB) but
> there is no floppy kernel module on the installer, so it could not
> read the floppy.

Yes, floppy modules are currently not included for alpha, both for
CD-ROM (NETINST etc) or netboot installation. We could change that
if there is demand for this.

> Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

It isn't. Thanks for your feedback.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz