Re: Use SMP kernel for Alpha (udeb) builds

On 12/7/18 22:06, Michael Cree wrote:
On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 05:38:51PM +0100, Frank Scheiner wrote:
As per [1] and our recent discussions the generic 4.x kernels seem to no
longer work on Alpha machines which also renders any installer images using
the generic 4.x kernels non-working.

Yes, that was noted some time ago.  A generic kernel does not boot
since about 3.13.

Must be after 3.16 because a Debian 3.16 generic kernel still worked on my PWS 500au back in 2017 or even earlier.

I can't remember why I never attempted bisecting
this back when it was first noted to be a problem, maybe because it
didn't affect me because I normally run my own spun kernels.

Yes, you mentioned that it doesn't affect non-generic kernels, e.g. kernels built for specific hardware like DP264.

Confirmed on:
* AlphaStation 200 (w/EV4 x 1)
* AlphaStation 255 (w/EV45 x 1)
* Personal Workstation 500au (w/EV56 x 1)
* AlphaServer DS20E (w/EV67 x 2)

Also on XP1000 so I would presume on any DP264 based machine.

Also expected on:
* AlphaServer ES45 (w/EV68CB x 4)

Actually no.  I seem to recall that the generic kernel does boot on
ES45 (Titan).

Interesting, maybe I should also give that a try on my DS25.

I can check that at some point when the buildds are
not busy.

If you want to avoid a reboot on the buildd machine, I can have a look with my ES45 on Sunday.

Cheers,
Frank