Re: current toolchain on Alpha is crap?

On Sun, Apr 09, 2017 at 07:47:55PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> (...)
> Both my 4.10 and recent 4.11-rc5 builds fail to boot/run properly.  The
> console spews an endless stream of "unix: Unknown relocation: 1" errors
> on each attempt to load any module.  I think I saw several messages to
> the effect of "exec unknown format" as well.

More info...  The error message originates in "arch/alpha/kernel/module.c",
and the "unix" string is due to trying to load the "net/unix/unix.ko"
module.  Also saw the module load error for "ipv6.ko" and *many* others.

I seem to recall upstream messing around with stricter module checking.
There are reports of people using the "nvidia" binary driver being stuck
at 4.9 because of the associated recent kernel changes.

The "file" command doesn't report anything unusual with respect to the
relocation type for any of the modules, so I'm feeling a bit better
about the integrity of the toolchain used for the builds.  I suppose
it's possible that Alpha got overlooked when the module handling changes
were implemented.

--Bob