Re: [BUG] 4.14 cannot find configured disks/partitions

On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 10:16:28AM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 11:49:55PM -0600, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 11:10:10PM -0600, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > > Perhaps the subject isn't entirely accurate, but that's what seems to be
> > > the case.  After loading the initial ramdisk, the boot process stalls
> > > (loops indefinitely) with "mdadm" complaining about not being able to scan
> > > the disks defined in its configuration file, which is bone-stock.  What
> > > makes this particularly infuriating is, I don't have anything configured
> > > for "mdadm" to worry about, which is what's normally found, i.e.,
> > > nothing of interest.
> > >
> > > The 4.13 kernel loads and boots just fine with exactly the same
> > > up-to-date (unstable/experimental) userspace libraries and utilities.
> > >
> > > Bottom line: the 4.14 kernel doesn't seem to detect my SCSI disks for
> > > some reason.  All the recent patches (end of October time frame) for PCI
> > > on alpha (I *think* mostly having to do with addressing some weird kind
> > > of libata conflict) didn't make any difference.
>
> Just got a chance to try out 4.14 on an Alpha and look like firmware
> for built-in drivers are being treated differently.  I presume you
> have a qlogic scsi driver.  Make sure qlogic/1040.bin (or whatever is
> appropriate for your scsi driver) is listed under Drivers->Generic
> Driver Options->Include in-kernel firmware blobs.

Glad I saw this before trying a freshly-built 4.14 with a few more
kernel config options enabled per the README file for systemd.  Doesn't
mean there isn't a systemd/udev issue as well, but if the firmware for
the SCSI controller isn't getting loaded, that makes detection of the
host and attached devices pretty much a non-starter.

Thanks!
--Bob