Re: can't boot kernel 4.x on SX164

On 25.02.2016 21:01, Alex Winbow wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Bob Tracy wrote:

>>> Yes, that is worth trying.  I had built kernels for dp264 and titan
>>> and they are working.
>
> Success with kernel 4.4.2, built entirely using the Debian package
> configuration options with only two changes: machinetype set from
> generic to SX164, and CONFIG_ALPHA_SRM=y.

Great.

> Obviously I'm thinking that CONFIG_ALPHA_SRM may be highly
> significant here! But this is just /too/ obvious, to the point of
> rediculousness. Did older Debian kernels have this option =y?

No.
My last change was in March 2015: https://alioth.debian.org/scm/browser.php?group_id=30428

> Is not having this option known to cause SRM to fail? Did this option become
> required at some point?

Either that or the debian kernel autoconfig suddenly doesn't enabled it.

> The other question is, can we set this option in the default Debian
> config for the auto-built packages?

Yes, I can submit it if it's needed.
Could you maybe try to build & boot a kernel where you keep machinetype at generic ?
That way we know if it's sufficient to just change CONFIG_ALPHA_SRM.

Helge