Re: many packages held for alpha

On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 11:34:43AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> With unstable, this happens from time to time.  At the moment, I've
> got 203 held packages as follows:
>
> Michael -- if you've got any insight as to where we left the rails, I'd
> be happy to put an extra set of eyes and hands on it as time permits.

Yes, we are currently going backwards on Alpha.  The main problem is
that cmake FTBFS (Bug #789807) thus a growing proportion of the
archive is unbuildable on Alpha.  That bug has got me beat.  The
problem is deep in the C++ code and I am not a C++ programmer.  The
last comment suggests it might be a compiler bug.  While possible,
I suggest that it could also be that cmake has wandered into the
realms of undefined behaviour, i.e. is trying to access a variable
at byte granularity whereas the compiler has determined that it
can only be long word aligned.

Cheers
Michael.