Re: Roll call for porters of architectures in sid and testing (Status update)

On Sat, 2013-09-21 at 19:36 +0200, Émeric MASCHINO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a long-time ia64 Debian user (> 10 years). I'm mostly focused on
> desktop aspects (GNOME, Iceweasel, LibreOffice, Qt Creator, C++ 3D
> software development) while most other ia64 users that I know are more
> inclined on server use.
>
> I'm not a DD/DM, but daily update my ia64 workstation, report bugs and
> do my best to provide useful information in order to get them fixed.

Thank you for this.

> I've also provided a couple of kernel patches in the past. I'm cross
> testing with Gentoo to ensure that bugs I report are Debian-specific
> or ia64-generic.
>
> I'll continue testing/software development activity on ia64 for the
> Jessie cycle, and more generally, until Debian drops ia64. I'm already
> waiting for Wayland on ia64 and other big updates.
>
> So please, keep ia64 in the bandwagon ;-)

But I don't think ia64 is well-supported even in wheezy.  The kernel
doesn't boot on some common machines and no-one seems to be able to fix
it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
compatible: Gracefully accepts erroneous data from any source