Re: pthread_getattr_np or pthread_attr_getstack

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 01:45:31PM +0900, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> Do function pthread_getattr_np or pthread_attr_getstack work well on
> alpha?  This is my question.

No, there's definitely something not quite right with the pthread stuff
when running an SMP kernel on Alpha.  It works fine with a UP kernel
but problems are seen when running the SMP kernel.

I see that the failed build:

> Upgraded to bdwgc to 7.2d, gauche had FTBFS on alpha.  See the log:
>
>    http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=gauche&arch=alpha&ver=0.9.3.3-4&stamp=1354011462

was built on the buildd Imago (which is indeed running an SMP kernel),
though the latest build (0.9.3.3-7) succeeded.   Probably a fluke.

I've seen the pthreads problem hit builds of a number of packages; they
always succeed if built while running a UP kernel.  I guess I could
put those packages having pthread failures into Imago's do not take
for build list so that they are always built by the buildd Debian-alpha2
which is running a UP kernel.

However, we really should track down the real problem in pthreads...

Cheers
Michael.