Re: KDE broken again

On 30/03/12 01:44, Bob Tracy wrote:
> I don't know exactly when things broke, as it has been a good while
> since I've had the time to do much with the Alpha. [...]
> Both plasma-desktop and kderunner are
> crashing during startup, and the crashes resemble what I was seeing many
> weeks ago when we were fighting "qt4-x11" optimized build issues.

KDE 4.7 was built and installed to debian-ports about a week ago.  And I
have also seen the crash of plasma-desktop and kderunner appear after
the upgrade to KDE 4.7.

The backtrace of both crashes end in the pthread locking code in libc.
I am running a kernel with the futex fix so it can't be the same issue
we were seeing with pulseaudio.  I have not got around to making any bug
reports as yet --- this one could be in any of KDE, qt4-x11, libc or the
kernel.

> further note that the corresponding binary packages are now at version
> 4.7.4-2, and the last non-optimized build I did to workaround the problem
> was 4.7.3-8.

We have compiled qt4-x11 since moving to gcc-4.6 so the gcc-4.4
optimisation bug won't be troubling us anymore.  However the last
compiled version of qt4-x11 (4.7.4-2) was built on the 7th Jan, so it is
possible it was afflicted by a less troublesome optimisation bug that
was in gcc-4.6 (and is now fixed). The lastest version 4.7.4-3 FTBFS
with an error in the installation phase.  I see it is now being built
again (the buildd state at debian-ports seems to have been reset a few
hours ago so the list of packages that had failed to build has been lost
and they are all being rebuilt again!).

So at this stage I don't have any suggestions how to fix or work around
the crashes.

Cheers,
Michael.