Re: USB cards for PWS 433au

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:59:15AM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 23/06/12 18:43, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > I recently retired an old AMD K6-III/450 system that had a serviceable
> > USB controller in it, so I tried transplanting it to my Alpha.  The
> > kernel seems to detect it just fine and load the appropriate drivers,
> > but there's evidently a conflict of some kind between the USB card and
> > my Radeon 7500.
>
> The infamous PWS PCI DMA hardware bug maybe?
>
> Are you putting the USB card in the 64 bit or 32 bit slot?  I think the
> recommendation is *not* to put anything involving data storage in the 64
> bit slots of any 1st generation PWS.

I missed that recommendation somewhere along the way :-(.  Glad to know
about it, though.  Depending on how many 32-bit slots I've got, I'll
just make sure nothing is in any of the 64-bit slots.  Frankly, I've yet
to see a 64-bit PCI card, but if such a thing falls into my lap, it
would be nice for it to have some chance of working.

As I contemplate where I installed the video and USB cards, I'm pretty
sure the video card is in the bottom slot (closest to the bottom case
edge), and the USB card is in one of the 64-bit slots.  I'll try moving
things around and see if that helps.

--Bob